By MARK ROBERTSEN-BARTON and KATHY MACKENZIE-SCHLAPP, The Associated Press New York Times bestselling author E.L. James says she doesn’t believe the man accused of raping her in 2016.
She also says she’s not ready to say anything else.
James, the author of “Fifty Short Stories,” “The Girl on the Train” and “Boys Don’t Cry,” released a statement on Thursday night saying she’s never been raped and says she won’t speak to anyone who has.
She said the accusations were false.
James has been a prominent critic of President Donald Trump and his White House, which she says has encouraged an atmosphere of “rape culture” at the White House and other government agencies.
She said in the statement that she’s “not ready to talk about my experience, which is completely unrelated to my book, until the case is settled.”
The accusations were brought against James in 2016, after she was attacked in her home by a man who then went on a rampage that left her with a broken jaw and brain damage.
James, who had been in the process of writing her second novel, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” says she was raped in her bed by the man who called himself “Peyton” and threatened to kill her if she did not agree to sex.
James says she suffered a concussion, brain trauma and lost her memory.
James has said she is confident that she’ll be able to write her third novel.
James also released a short film, “The Man in Black,” in which she described her ordeal in her first book.
In the film, James describes her time in the care of a private therapist who offered her the option of a rape-free life.
James said the therapist did not offer her the choice to stay in a relationship, and she says she refused.
She says she did have sex with the man once, but that the encounter was consensual.
James said in her statement that “I do not believe the person or persons who claim to be the perpetrators of this assault are my best friends.”